Tribute to the Woman's College
Location: University of North Carolina, Greensboro
Collaborator: Michael Stutz (sculptor)
The State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) opened its doors to students in 1892. The tradition of the Daisy Chain was one of the school’s earliest customs, representing the passing-on and continuity of school traditions and values. Inspired by this concept, the winning design envisions a circular community space that—like the Daisy Chain—connects the past to the present and people to place. The space straddles the site’s diagonal pathway. The tribute has two main elements: the “garland walls” and a central sculpture.